Sunday, December 2, 2012

The background and intent of ThinkingFriend


When I teach National Security or Homeland Security (as I have been doing full or part time for the last 19 years), I always begin by daring the students to guess my personal politics. I tell them that it is the job of a professor and a strategist to do honest research and follow inquiry and logic where they lead, without imparting his own personal spin to the facts. A professor in particular has a moral responsibility to see that his/her students hear all sides of an argument. The only way they can develop a sense of strategic right and wrong is to seriously consider multiple course of action, and follow them all to their logical conclusions. Some ideas that sound right will turn out to be very wrong in the end. Thus the most powerful tool any strategist has is honest inquiry – it is a tool I try to use wisely in my blog about strategy, http://thinkingenemy.blogspot.com/  .
That is not my intent in this blog.  Yes I will do my best to apply honest, rigorous, independent analysis to the issues I consider. But I do so from an openly traditional, Lockean, Western Judeo-Christian perspective on the Nature of Man. That is, I believe that Man (and Woman) has a dual nature: inclined to act savagely as Hobbes predicted, waging  “the warre of man against all men” unless controlled; but, with the proper moral education, capable of cooperation, self-control, and even altruism .  
Thus self-governance is possible with a maximum of freedom and a minimum of government interference. But only in a system that emphases individual morality and responsibility, and systemic  openness, oversight and balance of power.
The concept of morality is a key component of this perspective, and it is not to be equated with ethics. Ethical guidelines are an invention of man. They are frequently designed to identify boundaries precisely so that individuals know how far they can press their own advantage without incurring consequences to themselves. Morality, on the other hand, implies the existence of a higher power that has ordained at least the general boundaries of right and wrong. I believe that these moral boundaries are ordained by our Creator in the same way that our rights are endowed from the same source.  Along with a logic consistent with truth, this moral understanding of the Nature of Man  forms the basis for all successful strategy, policy, doctrine, administration and justice.
And so I will think and write from that perspective, challenging you, dear friend, to think for yourself. I hope you enjoy the exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment